Marriage, a Dramatization of the Gospel

August 16, 2013

IMG_7298

22 Comments

• Erica

August 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I kinda feel like you read my mind… marriage is really meant to be a reflection of Jesus and His bride, and so often I know we fall short of displaying that image – so often it's easy to forget that He loves us and wants the best for us and I act like a total brat about it. I could go on, but yeah, you said it 🙂 <3

• Laura Ryder

August 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

It's going through those hard times that builds a marriage stronger…just like when God puts us through test and difficulties so we will grow in our faith and he can mold us to who he wants us to be. My Tim and I have been through some of those hard times as well…but when you have God in your marriage you have the winning advantage.

Laura @ Mice In the Kitchen

• mj rdn

August 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

you guys, so adorable.. full with love.. even hard times..good to know you feel ok. http://underthestarsandsun.blogspot.com/

• Jen

August 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm

It's the hard time that makes everything so worth it. You realize that you wouldn't want to go through those times with anyone else.

• Becky Dougherty

August 16, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Beautiful post! It can be so hard to admit our wrongs…to our spouses AND to God. The worst part is that our spouse will probably be willing to forgive us for our apologies, and God certainly will! Why can't we just do it already?? 🙂

• Ginny MyNewFavoriteOutfit

August 16, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for sharing this, marriage definitely isn't alway puppies and rainbows, but if we remember to forgive the way God forgave us it makes moving forward so much better.
    Ginny

• Stephanie @ Life, Unexpectedly

August 16, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I see you there. Richard and I had our hard patches, full of doubt, disappointment in each other, and hurt. But at the end, we always knew we belong together. No matter how sad, angry, or disappointed we were, we always knew we will be doing better with each other than by ourselves. We are a unity, and always will be. And each rough patch made us stronger for the long run. Stay strong and believe in you, Susannah and Nate!!

• Katie

August 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

such a blessing how God uses relationships to teach us more about himself… even in the hard times! thanks for sharing

• Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird

August 16, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I think every couple goes through those hard patches, but it's how you handle it as a couple that really brings you together. Just remember that you're going through it as a team and support each other.

• Jayda

August 17, 2013 at 1:05 am

I absolutely love this. Steve and I were the exact same; we always said that if the first year is the hardest, we're set for life…it felt so easy to us! Of course, we started hitting the occasional rough patch, and really had to WORK at our marriage, and I've really come to appreciate those moments (not in the moment of course), because they force us to practice humility and grace, and they help us understand each other better. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Summer Nicole

August 17, 2013 at 1:39 am

Marriage is such a picture of Christ's never-stopping-always-forgiving-loving-us-no-matter-what love…one of God's many great ideas! It is easy to forget, but when we are allowing God to reveal His love to us through marriage (especially when we screw up on loving eachother well) it is a beautiful thing! 🙂

• Rachel

August 17, 2013 at 9:13 am

I've long believed that the closeness of the marriage relationship lends itself well to a better understanding of unconditional Love–over time and over years as we learn how often we fail and how often we love poorly, we gain a greater appreciation for how God loves us. Have you read "Sacred Marriage"–that's probably my all-time favorite marriage book, the main idea is generally how the experience of marriage can mold our characters to be more like Christ.

• Z @ Kicking Kilos

August 17, 2013 at 11:56 am

Iam glad that he realized what was wrong and that you were upset.
    Dont such moments 'stick' ;)?

• Charity

August 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I absolutely love the realness of this post. Every marriage has it's season of tough times my husband and I have definitely had our fair share. In the beginning I was really terrible at forgiving him even though I said that I did. It wasn't until I understood that marriage was a reflection of Christ's love for the church that I really got it….I finally learned that grace is necessary to our marriage. The rough times are a reminder that marriage definitely takes work and needs two awesome forgivers.

• Tere Ávila

August 17, 2013 at 9:18 pm

great post honey, i really love the truth yout old us!

xx

• Midnight Cowgirl

August 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Wonderful post! Stress makes everyone do things they wish they hadn't, and it is so good to be surrounded by those who can still love and forgive.

• Angela

August 18, 2013 at 1:07 am

Love this post girl! I find it so amazing how different relationships in our lives can teach us about God's different characteristics–and our relationship with Him!

• Kelsea

August 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

This is a great post. It is so true how the picture of Grace becomes all the more clear when you marry. We've had struggles of our own and haven't always been as ready to forgive or even apologize. How much more patience I can give when I take on the heart of the Lord and surrender that to him.

• Sarah Pete

August 19, 2013 at 2:01 am

Great post! Love your honesty and your thoughts on truth.
    You're right: marriage, in its purest form, really IS supposed to give us a picture of Christ's love for his Church–of his grace and forgiveness.
    Thanks for posting!

• Ashley

August 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

I think that marriage gets hard when situations change up a bit. When we get out of our normal situation, we have to work even harder to feel and show that love we have for our spouse. You're so great, Susannah…I really liked this post…definitely agree that when things get tough we need to turn to our Heavenly Father for help!

• Leah

August 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

marriage i think has been the one thing that has stretched me the most to really show God's grace. it's a struggle especially when situations change and become difficult. it's great though that both of you were able to recognize where there was room for forgiveness and extended grace towards each other. and i'm sure this struggle will only strenghten your marriage as well. loved your honesty!

• Sam M

September 5, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I really like the comparison that you made here. It reminds me of a quote I heard about how the quality of our marriage is a gift to God. It can be so easy to forget to work on your marriage when things are stressful, but it's so wonderful to know that you can come back from that place.

Comments are closed.