No-Reply Bloggers {WordPress and Google +}

August 6, 2013

It breaks my heart to no end when I get comments from no-reply bloggers.  I love connecting with readers and always try to respond to comments if I can.  Of course, by now, we’ve all read the “how to not be a no-reply blogger” posts that hundreds (if not thousands) of bloggers have written.  A simple solution for those Blogger bloggers who come up as no-reply bloggers.  (How many times can YOU put the word “blogger” in a sentence?)  The thing is, now most of my no-reply bloggers are not simply Blogger bloggers who haven’t read a post like that – they’re typically either WordPress bloggers or bloggers who have their blogs linked up with Google +.  After some research, I found the solution for these problems and I’d love to share them with you.

Blogger

First, just in case you are a new Blogger blogger who hasn’t read one of the no-reply blogger posts, let me recap how you change your status.  When you’re on your blogger dashboard find the drop down menu in the top right corner.  (It’s the little tab with your picture and your name and a little down pointing arrow)  From there, click on “Blogger Profile.”  On the right hand side of the page that shows up click on the button that says “Edit Profile.”  Near the top of that page it says “Privacy.”  Underneath that there will be an option that says “show my email address.”  Select that box, click “Save Profile,” and you’re good to go!!!  If you need the visual for doing this, check out this blog post!

Google +

Now, if your blog is hooked up to your Google + profile you’ve probably discovered that you’re not getting replies to your comments either.  Yep, hooking up with Google + automatically took away your privileges of not being a no-reply blogger.  Thankfully, you can change that and still stay connected to Google +!  On your blogger dashboard find the little wheel thing on the right side of the page and click on it.  On the drop down menu that shows up, click “Revert to Blogger Profile.”  An option of what Blogger profile you want to switch to will show up and you’ll click on “Switch to limited Blogger profile.”  Now you’ll have to chose a display name – the name you want to show up when you comment.  Click “Continue to Blogger.”  From here, do the same steps you would if you were simply becoming a no-reply blogger without being connected to Google +.  Once all that is done, go back to your blogger profile and click on the little wheel thing again.  Click on “Connect to Google +” and follow the steps from there!  If you’d like a visual display for how to do this, head over to this post!

WordPress (Or other non-Blogger blogs)

Now for WordPress (or any other blog that’s not Blogger).  It seems at first glance that you’re out of luck.  There’s no way of changing your no-reply blogger status without building a whole Blogger blog.  That’s not true!  I figured out a way that will allow you to have a blogger profile that leads to your WordPress blog without having to create a whole Blogger blog.  Sure, you have to give in to the man (Google) a little bit – but you don’t need to start up a whole new blog.  Since I didn’t find any post explaining this way of doing it, I’m going to give you a visual here on my blog!

Firstly, you do need a gmail email address.  You can easily make one up and then never use it again.  It doesn’t have to be the address used as your non no-reply blogger email address.  You just have to have one so that you can create a blogger profile.  So, step one is just to sign in to Blogger.

Screenshot (70)

A page will pop up and you just need to chose to create a limited Blogger profile.

Screenshot (51)

From there, you enter in a Display Name and click “Continue to Blogger.”

Screenshot (52)

Now that you’re on your new Blogger dashboard, click on “New Blog” to the left.

Screenshot (54)

Now you need to title your blog and give it a web address.  This can be any sort of silly title and address because no one will be seeing it.  Be creative!

Screenshot (55)

Now that you’ve created a “blog” (that you’re never going to use!) click on the little shadow person next to your name in the upper right corner.  Once you’ve opened the drop down menu click “Blogger profile.”  This is where the magic is going to happen!

Screenshot (56)

Now you’re on your blogger profile which is what will be seen, connecting readers to your WordPress blog.  See how, right now, it’s showing my fake Blogger blog, “Test Blog”?  We’ll take care of that.  Click on “Edit Profile.”

Screenshot (58)

Ok, first thing you’re going to want to do here is check the box next to “Show my email address.”  Next, if you’re not wanting to be contact through the gmail email address you used to form your account, change the email address to the one you do want used.  Once those two things are done, click “Select blogs to display.”  This is what is going to take your fake Blogger blog off your profile.

Screenshot (59)

Uncheck your fake Blogger blog (remember, mine’s the one called “Test Blog”), click “Save Settings,” and then click “Back to Edit Profile.”  Now you’re so close to being done!!!

Screenshot (64)

Once you’re back on the Edit Profile page, I would suggest uploading a picture so that your profile is more personable.  To keep in line with good branding, I would suggest uploading the same picture that you have on your WordPress blog.

Screenshot (61)

At this point, you’re going to add your WordPress URL!  Yay!!!  Under “General” there is a “Homepage URL” section.  Enter your WordPress blog URL there!

Screenshot (62)

Personally, I would also add a little blurb in the “Introduction” section just letting the visitor know the name of my blog and the URL.  It never hurts to have the URL of your blog two places, just to make sure the visitor can find it!

Screenshot (67)

Now, all you need to do is scroll down and click orange “Save Profile.”  That’ll jump you back up to the top of the page, letting you know all the changes have been saved.  To check out that all the changes were made correctly, click on “View Updated Profile”

Screenshot (68)

If everything was done correctly, your updated profile should pop up!  Yay!!!  As you can see, on the left you have you picture, a link that says “email” and a link that says “my web page.”  If any of them are missing, you did something wrong.  Go back through and make sure you did all the steps.  If all those are there then you finally are not a no-reply blogger!!!!

Screenshot (69)

Yay!  Good job!  Congratulations!!  Now, when you comment on Blogger blogs, just make sure you use your gmail account (even if it’s not the email you are expecting to get replies through).  You won’t be a no-reply blogger and the blogging world is going to open up so much for you!  I’m excited that I’ll finally be able to email you back!!!

47 Comments

• Diana

August 6, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I didn't really get what a no-reply-blogger is, but I think I had similar Problems with some Google+ users… You would have to sign up for Google+ for commenting, right? And if I don't want to do that I'm not able to leave a comment?

• Jayda

August 6, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I love this! It makes me so sad when I can't respond to comments via e-mail! Hopefully this will turn lots of people into e-mailable bloggers/commenters 🙂

• Z @ Kicking Kilos

August 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm

AWESOME POST!!! Im going to link it up on my post tomorrow!!!! 🙂

• Amy Simcox

August 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Thanks Susannah! I'm not sure if I'm a no-reply blogger or not but I followed your instructions anyway. Hopefully I'm a reply-blogger either way. Appreciate the help!

• Amy

August 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

girl yes, it is so frustrating when someone is a no-reply blogger! I always want to respond to their comments!

• Jenny Fish

August 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Thanks! I had no idea I was a no-reply blogger. Thanks for the help. 🙂

• Jenna

August 6, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks! I had no idea you could change your reply setting. I need to look and see if mine is set up that way. Thanks dear!

• Jen

August 6, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I hate when I can't reply to comments.

• Sarah Mc.

August 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I am so glad you've shared this! I hate having to let some people slip through the cracks without a response. It breaks my heart!

• Carol {Everyday Delights}

August 6, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I'm glad you shared this! I had no idea how to do this until another blogger showed me too!

• Carole

August 6, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Susannah – such a great tip – thank you!

• Katrin

August 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Susannah! Great help!

• Angela

August 7, 2013 at 12:25 am

Great tutorials! I am just not a fan of Google+ in general…

• Rachael SparkFire

August 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

I would love to fix this….but I cannot even find the first page after you signed in to Blogger! HELP because I would love to be a reply blogger! 🙂

• Elle Alice

August 7, 2013 at 7:09 am

I hope I am a reply blogger! I didn't even know about all of this! Mind – blown!

• Amy, a redeemed sheep

August 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write this all out! May I use your graphic and link to your blog on my blog's sidebar?

• Amy, a redeemed sheep

August 7, 2013 at 2:56 pm

The button is on my blog and a quick post about your post will be published tomorrow. =)

• Ashley R

August 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I keep switching mine to 'reply' and it always switches back after awhile. 🙁 Drives me crazy! And the weirder thing I just noticed is that sometimes what it says a blogger is 'no reply' and you hit 'reply' you are able to see their address. Ah! So confusing!

• Wendy May

August 8, 2013 at 2:52 am

So I did this, and I'm hoping I needed to and it works! haha. Thanks Susannah!

• JillB

August 9, 2013 at 2:42 am

Would be EVER SO GRATEFUL if you would check my status
    thanks! A bloglovin follower,
    browejs@yahoo.com

• Jennifer – The Deliberate Mom

August 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I thought I corrected this (as I've gone through all these steps before) but then I got your comment on my blog prompting why I'm a no-reply Blogger. I went through all these steps again… I hope it's fixed now.

Have a lovely day.
    xoxo

• Katie

August 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I fixed my profile!! I just had a link to my old blogger blog, whose last post had a link to my current blog. This is so much better!! thanks for figuring this out for us :):)

• Leigh

August 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm

THANK YOU for taking the time to write this out! I had no idea until another blogger gave me the link to this post!

XO
    Leigh

• Nicole Nenninger

August 29, 2013 at 12:35 am

After at least an hour of searching on my blogger account, I couldn't find the blogger profile pull-down menu. I have a wordpress site, a google+ account and now 2 blogs with blogger. Yikes! Any suggestions?

• oruade maxwell

September 2, 2013 at 9:43 am

• Destiny

January 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you so much for writing this out! Hopefully I've done it right now 🙂

• Notes from a Newlywed

February 10, 2014 at 4:54 pm

FINALLY! Someone who has shown how to do this as a WordPress user. I thought I was doomed to forever be a no-reply commenter. THANK YOU!!!!

• Jodi

February 22, 2014 at 2:29 am

Thank you!

• Heather

February 25, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Thank you for this! I had an old Blogger blog that I didn't want to use when I commented, but didn't know how to convert it to my current WordPress blog. I'm so glad you walked me through it!

• Nina

March 13, 2014 at 9:19 pm

this was so helpful. I hope I did it correctly!

• Caitlin | The Siren’s Tale

March 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Thank you so much for this Susannah! I've been having trouble with replies for months and receiving emails saying I was a no-reply commenter (I use WordPress). This tutorial was SO helpful. Can you see from this post if I show up as a no-reply person? Thanks!

• amydhodge

March 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

This was SO helpful thank you!

• Sarah Staggs

March 29, 2014 at 4:06 am

Question: What do we do if we already have a Google+ account? ( I also tried clicking on the 'notify me' box down below but it keeps saying "an error occurred while contacting the server".
    xo, Sarah @movingeastonwest

• Crystal Green

March 30, 2014 at 3:09 am

Thank you. I now have this completely set up. I have been blogging for three years, and never knew this. Go figure.

• Rachel Emily

March 30, 2014 at 3:59 pm

THANK YOU for including WordPress bloggers in this!!! Such a huge help.

• sarah

April 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thank you from another WordPress blogger!!

• Late Night Quilter

April 11, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Hi Susannah. Thank you so much for your no reply blogger help for WordPressers! You should charge for this info! I already had a Google+ account, so it was a little different. But I stumbled around a bit until I could deactivate the google plus profile and then it all went smoothly. I am so appreciative of your help!

• cheriarmour.com

April 14, 2014 at 11:24 pm

OMGG I think I owe you my life. A blogger told me today I was a no-reply blogger and I was like noooooo WTF! Thank you so much for your help!

• Cheri @ Overactive Blogger

April 14, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Annnd here is my new comment that you actually can reply to! Thank you thank you!

• Sarah Farris

May 4, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I've been trying to fix my no reply problem for weeks (I even thought that I'd fixed it), but when I checked my profile, now it shows my email address, finally! Thanks so much!

• Annie

May 14, 2014 at 3:16 pm

OMG. this is just perfect. About 5 minutes ago I was a no-reply blogger but with your tutorial I'm not anymore! Pretty sure it worked. Thanks!

• Stephanie Owen

June 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I think this may have helped me fix the no-reply problem! Let's hope 🙂

• Sophi @ Simply Sophisticated Blog

June 6, 2014 at 1:46 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I could not figure out how to fix the no-reply issue on wordpress. All of the tutorials I found were for Blogger.

• BlonderSideofLife

June 12, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Ok so ppl have been telling me I'm no-reply for the longest but no one ever could tell me how to fix it for WordPress. I've followed your tutorial and am pretty sure I did it right….hopefully you're able to respond to this. If not my email is blondersideoflfieblog@gmail Fingers crossed! And thanks for the steps!!

• Dana @ Slow and Steady(ish)

July 7, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for these instructions! I always use my WordPress account and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to NOT be a no-reply blogger. Hopefully now it'll work! 🙂

• Christina at soldoutarenas.wordpress.com

July 16, 2014 at 2:56 pm

This was the best tutorial to date on how to change from a no reply blogger! Great job, especially on the wordpress instructions!

• The Year of the Baby – Simple Moments Stick

October 15, 2017 at 10:50 pm

[…] Awesome Couple Costumes How to Paint Wood Furniture I Don’t Recommend Getting Married Young No Reply Bloggers {Wordpress and Google+} “Healthy” Blackberry Cobbler I Can’t Wait to Quite My Job Couple Costume Ideas […]

Comments are closed.