Learning to be Intentional
The new year always has a magical feel for me! I can’t help but feel fresh and excited for all the new challenges and new adventures the year has in store for me. Practically I know that there’s nothing different when the clock strikes midnight but in my heart I know differently. My heart skips a beat when I watch the ball drop on New Years Eve and I know that all sorts of wondrous things are beginning.
As someone who is totally goal oriented the new year brings even more happiness into my life. The new year signifies a reset. It’s a time to refocus, reevaluate my goals, and re-purpose how I’m spending my life. Like many bloggers, instead of coming up with a whole bunch of new years resolutions that I’ll probably fail at I have chosen a word to wrap my mind around in 2016.
My word of the year for 2016 is Intentional
Intentionality is so important to me but recently I’ve been finding that I’ve been going through motions in life that don’t line up with my how I desire to be living. I’m not being intentional in my time, my relationships, my faith, and so much more so this new year is the perfect time to change that.
As any good goal oriented person knows, you can’t just pick a word and think that’s it. There are practical ways I’m putting my word of the year to work.
- As I announced on Friday, the Faith and Fellowship Blog Hop is ending. It’s been a wonderful time of getting to know new bloggers and growing in my faith as I’ve read the blogs they share but it’s not something I can keep up on. I don’t have time to read the majority of the blog posts that are linked up and I feel as though the community aspect isn’t there the way it once was. I will still be posting faith based posts on my blog but the linkup has been retired. I need to be intentional about what I’m spending my blogging time on and, unfortunately, the blog hop didn’t make the cut.
- I am not going to be pressuring myself to blog five days a week anymore. Instead, I will be focusing on my content. I will be posting three to five days a week – depending on the time I have to produce quality blog content. I am going to be intentional about only posting valuable content and spend more time on things like photography instead of simply writing.
- I will be working on growing the Solidarity Sisters. This month I had nearly 100 bloggers sign up to be a part of the group and I adore pairing the bloggers up with one another and sending out challenges to help them all grow their blogs. I want to be intentional about getting back to the community aspect of blogging – the aspect of blogging that went out the window after Caleb was born. (Updated to Add: Solidarity Sisters is now closed down)
- Although making money is not all this blog is about I will be working toward monetizing my blog more this coming year. Even though I am a stay at home mom it’s important to me that I do my best to contribute financially to my family. I will be intentional about keeping genuine in my blog, though. I do not want to promote a product or idea that I can’t fully get behind simply because I want to make a few dollars. My integrity is important to me.
- I am opening an Etsy store! I’ve had the desire to start a store for years but have always kept from doing it out of fear. I will no longer fear! I’m going to go out on a limb and do it! I’m finishing up photographing some of my inventory and this coming weekend the shop is going live!!!! I’m terrified but can’t wait to be intentional about stepping out of my comfort zone and going for a dream.
- Caleb and Nate are absolutely my first priorities and sometimes they’re the ones that fall through the cracks. I am going to work my hardest on being intentional about the time I spend with my men.
- It shocks me to see how much Caleb notices and absorbs. Just the other day Nate was staining a coffee table he built me (my hubby rocks!) and Caleb was in the room watching. The next even Caleb crawled into the room where the staining supplies were being kept, picked up the paintbrush and pretended to dip it in the stain and started hitting the coffee table with the brush – trying to be just like his daddy. I want to be instilling good and healthy life choices in Caleb’s mind and need to be intentional about doing it! This isn’t mommy guilt, you guys, you know how I feel about the mommy guilt of technology and I haven’t changed but, when I’m not working, I want to be showing Caleb all about living a good life.
- Nate and I have been on four dates without Caleb since he was born. Four dates in 13 months. That’s unacceptable. We have decided we are going to be intentional about going out without Caleb this year. We love our little man but he’s gotten so much easier the past few months and that makes it 1000 times easier to leave him with a babysitter. (We’re actually leaving him with his grandparents for a week in March while we vacation in Mexico!)
- Sometime later this year we’re probably going to want to start trying for baby #2. I’m still 25 pounds over my pre-baby weight… Exactly like I was a month after having Caleb. It’s ridiculous. I’ve been exercising but not as much as I could be. That’s got to change. I don’t want to start my next pregnancy at this weight and end being another 25 pounds heavier. That won’t fly with me. I’m gradually weaning Caleb this month in anticipation for a women’s retreat I’m going on at the end of the month so my body will hopefully be more willing to drop the pounds when I’m done nursing. I’m being more intentional about what I’m eating and making sure I’m spending at least half an hour a day exercising. Not just walking but really, truly exercising.
- I miss reading. Last year I think I finished three books. Not ok. This year I want to be intentional about spending time reading again. I used to devour books like nothing else. I know I can’t get back to devouring books but at least one book a month is not too much to commit to. I also want to be much more intentional about spending time in my Bible. It has to be a priority to spend time with Jesus!
- Finding doctors is something that is crucial for me to do soon! Since moving I’ve been putting off finding doctors but I need to be intentional about my health. I haven’t been to the eye doctor in nine years and barely passed my vision test when I got my drivers license renewed this past November. I haven’t been to the chiropractor in about six months and my back is killing me! It’s about time for my yearly lady doctor appointment and I have no clue who to visit. I can’t keep putting off my health or it’s going to come back to bite me.
- Simplifying is always on my radar. We purged a ton when we moved but I keep finding more and more things that we don’t need. I’m getting to be a minimalist in my old age. Over on my facebook page I’m starting a challenge that I’d love for you to join in on! I’m encouraging you all to be intentional about the items in your home. If it’s not something that you need then get rid of it! Join me in purging one item a day in 2016. You have a few days to catch up on but you’re still welcome to join in! Every Saturday we’re going to post the things we got rid of that week!
What ways could you be more intentional?